Seattle Teacher’s Union Protects Alleged Child Rapist from Firing

‘During his tenure as an employee of Seattle Public Schools, the defendant had access to thousands of children…’

NRA Sues City of Seattle Over Restrictions on Guns

Photo by tiffany98101 (CC)

(Joshua Paladino, Liberty Headlines) A teacher’s union in Seattle protected a negligent and abusive instructional assistant at John Muir Elementary School, preventing Seattle Public Schools from firing him, according to the Seattle Times.

After the Seattle Education Association defended him and the district agreed to hire him as a substitute teacher for the 2017-2018 school year, allegations arose that Albert C. Virachismith raped a second grader as many as six times, the newspaper reported.

The Seattle Police Department has begun to investigate whether Virachismith abused other children, as he had taught in eight schools since 2014.

Officials filed felony charges against him for child rape and child molestation in the King County Superior Court on February 6, 2018.


The charges explained how Virachismith took advantage of his victim:

“The defendant, because of his professional role, was well aware of the rule that only one student was allowed in the bathroom,” the documents say. “The defendant knew that the young victim would be alone and isolated in the bathroom. This knowledge allowed and empowered the defendant to sexually assault the second grader uninterrupted and undetected.”

New personnel records show that Virachismith had consistently bad performance records as an instructor, as well as blatantly unprofessional etiquette, years prior to the child sexual allegations.

The first lines say everything the district should need to know to terminate Virachismith’s employment: “Albert fails to accomplish the essential functions of the job.”

A few paragraphs later it continues, “Albert does not attend to the needs of his students.”

He missed 21 days of class during a year. In the first 65 days of the school year, he missed 18 times, or 20 percent of every scheduled day.

When he did come to class, he smelled of booze and he interrupted class periods.

He even placed a special-needs child into a headlock, which he defended as a playful gesture.

In every category of his performance evaluation — technical knowledge, accountability, collaboration, communication, critical thinking, initiative, planning and organizing, quality of work, and student management — Virachismith received the lowest possible rating of “unsatisfactory.”

Seattle Public Schools, however, did not move to fire him until the end of the 2016-2017 school year.

But the Seattle Education Association filed a grievance objecting to his firing on Virchismith’s behalf. The district settled, allowing him to work as a substitute during the 2017-2018 school year rather than as an instructional assistant.

After this, Virachismith breached the “Last Chance Settlement Agreement” by failing two urine tests and missing treatment for alcoholism.

The district still could not fire him.

It took until February 7 for the school district to terminate his employment, which was about a week after the 9-year-old boy told his parents that Virachismith had molested and raped him.

Seattle Public Schools notified families at the schools Virachismith had worked at in case other students needed to come forward.

“During his tenure as an employee of Seattle Public Schools, the defendant had access to thousands of children,” Senior Deputy Prosecuting Attorney Emily Petersen wrote in a case summary. “Seattle Police Department is continuing to investigate whether other children suffered sexual abuse at the hands of the defendant.”