‘When our community’s efforts to conduct business in an orderly, lawful manner begins to hurt our businesses, then it’s time to put a stop to it…’
(Kaylee McGhee, Liberty Headlines) The mayor of Statesville, North Carolina has asked the city to draft an amendment that would allow a large American flag to continue flying as other city officials try to take it down.
“In speaking with city council members, I believe this is the direction the majority of council would like to go at this time,” Statesville Mayor Costi Kutteh said, according to WBTV.
Camping World, an RV and outdoor supply retailer, has paid several thousand dollars to fly the giant American flag that the city deemed too large.
The city filed an injunction last year to try and force the local business to take the flag down, generating controversy not just in the city but around the nation.
Facing negative backlash after the story circulated in media outlets, Kutteh asked the Statesville Planning Department on Wednesday to draft an amendment that would permit Camping World to continue flying its flag.
“Some terrible things have been said about our wonderful town—and it hasn’t come from our citizens, but people from all over the country have jumped on this issue and called us names I can’t repeat,” Kutteh said. “When our community’s efforts to conduct business in an orderly, lawful manner begins to hurt our businesses, then it’s time to put a stop to it.”
The mayor’s decision came shortly after businessman and reality television star Marcus Lemonis, known as “The Profit,” pledged to visit Statesville on Thursday and defend the flag.
I understand that there several different opinions on the American Flag lawsuit in Statesville N.C. I will be in Statesville Thursday late afternoon to answer questions from all sides. My goal is to have the code changed at a federal level.
— Marcus Lemonis (@marcuslemonis) May 28, 2019
When asked about Lemonis’s visit, Kutteh said: “We had hoped Mr. Lemonis would make the request to [amend the ordinance] himself, but he has made no attempt to contact the city.”