‘I was really struck how people said that to me…’ – but not to men!
(Kaylee McGhee, Liberty Headlines) Hillary Clinton defended her decision to continue making public appearances and giving speeches, saying critics who have asked her to step aside “never said that to any man who was not elected.”
“I was really struck how people said that to me,” Clinton said during an event at Rutgers University on Thursday. “I am really committed to speaking out and doing what I can to have a voice in the debate.”
Clinton’s remarks were in response to a question from Eagleton Institute of Politics director Ruth Mandel about the former presidential candidate’s reaction to those on both sides of the aisle that tell her to “get off the public stage and shut up.”
Clinton then listed several recent presidential hopefuls, including Al Gore, John Kerry, John McCain, and Mitt Romney.
Even though their campaigns failed, she said, they didn’t disappear afterwards.
“He’s running for Senate!” Clinton said after naming Romney, who ran against Obama in 2012.
Clinton reportedly received $25,000 for the Rutgers speech, a fraction of what she was paid for talks she gave as a viable presidential candidate and political influencer in the Obama administration.
Clinton has received a lot of backlash in recent weeks following her comments regarding Americans who voted for President Trump in the 2016 election.
“I won the places that are optimistic, diverse, dynamic, moving forward,” she said earlier this month during a conference in India. “And his whole campaign, ‘Make America Great Again,’ was looking backwards.”
Clinton frequently talks about the election results and Trump’s presidency in her speeches. She said calls for her to “get off the stage” began right after she lost.
“That began to happen after the election. And the election was really traumatic,” she said at Rutgers University.
But Clinton said she will remain politically engaged, for better or worse.
“You won’t be surprised to hear me say that I have concerns,” she said.