Dick’s to Destroy ‘Assault’ Rifles it Pulled after Fla. Shooting

‘We are destroying the firearms in accordance with federal guidelines and regulations…’

Dick's Sporting Goods to End Sales of Assault-Style Guns

Photo by JeepersMedia (CC)

(Syracuse Media Group) Dick’s Sporting Goods plans to destroy what it calls “assault-style” rifles it pulled from its shelves after the shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida in February.

The retailer announced it would no longer sell AR-15 rifles and similar weapons in the days following the Parkland shooting.

But it was unclear what would happen to its unsold inventory, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

The company, which is headquartered near Pittsburgh, told the paper last week that it plans to destroy the weapons.

.

The National Rifle Association slammed the decision.

Dick’s pulled assault-style rifles from its main stores in 2012 following the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting.

But it began carrying them at its Field & Stream outdoor and hunting gear stores a few months later, according to The New York Times.

“We are in the process of destroying all firearms and accessories that are no longer for sale as a result of our Feb. 18 policy change,” a spokeswoman said, according to the Post-Gazette. “We are destroying the firearms in accordance with federal guidelines and regulations.”

The weapons will be destroyed at the company’s distribution centers.

The parts will be sent to a salvage company for recycling.

Dick’s did not say how many guns will be destroyed.

**MORE COVERAGE OF 2ND AMENDMENT RIGHTS at LibertyHeadlines.com**

Along with AR-15 rifles and other similar weapons, the retailer decided to stop selling high capacity magazines.

The chain also no longer sells any firearms to buyers under 21 years old, the Post-Gazette said.

Dick’s is facing two lawsuits on the age limit.

After Parkland, Walmart raised its minimum age for buying firearms to 21 as well.

Walmart is also being sued over the age limit.

©2018 Syracuse Media Group, N.Y. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC. Liberty Headlines editor Paul Chesser contributed.