‘He was, as I’ve said to others, he was the only adult in the room…’
(Kaylee McGhee, Liberty Headlines) The Covington Catholic High School student at the center of a staged confrontation is suing NBCUniversal for $275 million for its dishonest media coverage of the viral controversy, his lawyer said Wednesday.
In January, high school student Nicholas Sandmann and his classmates attended the annual pro-life March for Life, during which Native American activist Nathan Phillips confronted him, chanting and repeatedly banging his drum in Sandmann’s face.
Today, @LLinWood and I filed a $275,000,000 lawsuit against NBCUniversal on behalf of Nicholas Sandmann. The facts of the suit show the anti-Trump narrative NBC pushed so hard. Here is a link if you wish to read it: https://t.co/X6v4HBqxXk pic.twitter.com/jcRTnWh5hl
— Todd V. McMurtry (@ToddMcMurtry) May 1, 2019
The media, including NBC, suggested Sandmann had created the confrontation and accused him of racism and disrespect. But subsequent reporting and video evidence contradicted that version of events.
“NBCUniversal created a false narrative by portraying the ‘confrontation’ as a ‘hate crime’ committed by Nicholas,” the lawsuit read, saying Sandmann was “an easy target for NBCUniversal to advance its anti-Trump agenda because he was a 16-year-old white, Catholic student who had attended the Right to Life March that day and was wearing a MAGA cap at the time of the incident—which he had purchased earlier in the day as a souvenir.”
Sandmann’s lawyer, Todd McMurtry, suggested that the Associated Press and HBO could face similar lawsuits.
“CNN was probably more vicious in its direct attacks on Nicholas than The Washington Post,” Sandmann’s lawyer, L. Lin Wood, said after announcing the lawsuit against CNN. “And CNN goes into millions of individuals’ homes. They really went after Nicholas with the idea that he was part of a mob that was attacking the Black Hebrew Israelites, yelling racist slurs at the Black Hebrew Israelites. Totally false.
“Now you say you’ve seen the tape; if you took the time to look at the full context of what happened that day, Nicholas Sandmann did absolutely nothing wrong,” Wood continued. “He was, as I’ve said to others, he was the only adult in the room. But you have a situation where CNN couldn’t resist the idea that here’s a guy with a young boy and a ‘Make America Great Again’ cap on. So they go after him.”