Keurig CEO Sorry Over Decision to Pull Hannity Ads

(Daily Caller News Foundation) The CEO of Keurig apologized Monday for pulling ads from Sean Hannity’s show on Fox News following his coverage of sexual assault allegations against Alabama Republican Senate candidate Roy Moore.

Keurig photo

Photo by JeepersMedia (CC)

CEO Bob Gamgort apologized to Keurig’s employees for their decision to pull their advertising from Hannity’s show in a memo obtained by The Washington Post.

Gangort said it is an “unacceptable” situation, and that the move unintentionally gave the appearance of “taking sides” in the Moore allegations.

He said the company would typically “pause” ads in a situation like this and review the strategy at a later date, but that the decision to broadcast that pause over Twitter was “highly unusual.”

PREVIOUSLY: Keurig, Other Companies Yank Ads from ‘Hannity’ Over Roy Moore

“This gave the appearance of ‘taking sides’ in an emotionally charged debate that escalated on Twitter and beyond over the weekend, which was not our intent,” Gamgort wrote in the memo.

“Clearly, this is an unacceptable situation that requires an overhaul of our issues response and external communications policies and the introduction of safeguards to ensure this never happens again … The nature of social media and the internet news environment is that stories like this explode, and generally do not disappear quickly.”

Supporters of Moore, who has been accused of molesting a 14-year-old girl when he was in his 30s, and fans of Hannity called for a boycott of Keurig over the weekend, after the brand announced it would pull the ads.

The company responded to a Twitter inquiry asking Keurig to rethink its advertising agreement with Hannity’s program Saturday, explaining they have worked with Fox News to prevent their ads from airing during Hannity’s show.

“Angelo, thank you for your concern and for bringing this to our attention. We worked with our media partner and FOX news to stop our ad from airing during the Sean Hannity Show,” Keurig tweeted at a Twitter commenter.

Hannity said that he would buy “500 coffee makers” late Sunday evening to give away to fans who put out the best video of smashing their Keurigs coffee makers.

Republished with permission from Daily Caller News Foundation via iCopyright license.

  • Snakeman

    Here’s a question……

    Why would he apologize to the employees? It wasn’t them who were upset with the company. None of them AFAIK were threatening to quit their jobs over the decision. If my memory holds, it was customers, you know the ones that make it possible for you to have jobs, in the first place, that were threatening to return their Christmas presents and smash their existing Keurigs. Maybe he should be apologizing to them?

    • Paulita Gilberto

      I think most Hannity supporters are OK with his admitting he was wrong. By the way, this woman in NY is the phoniest assault victim so far. And anyone with Conservative views would never hire Abortion Clinic Gloria (Allred) to represent them.

      • Naval Lint

        He didn’t admit he was wrong. The statement merely indicates that letting people know what they were doing was a mistake. They’re called “weasel-words” as in “We’re going to do this again but next time we’ll keep our mouths shut about it”….weasel-words.

  • ajax7

    I won’t smash mine that is old but it will be replaced with another brand when I have any trouble out of it.

  • Criers

    Is there another coffee pot that uses pods? The Keurig I have is going downhill but I still have a lot of pods but I never want to buy anything from Keurig again.